Your instructor may require proctoring for online exams. If you are like a lot of students, you may experience test anxiety or feel nervous about the online testing process. If your instructor requires it, take some time to familiarize yourself with what you will need in order to access online proctoring before the day of your exam so you feel as prepared as possible.
Most courses that require online proctoring will use SmarterProctoring. SmarterProctoring is an advanced solution for online test security, remote, automated and live test proctoring, and for scheduling face-to-face proctoring. Depending on the options your instructor chooses, you may be able to take a test using automated proctoring (at no fee), schedule a face-to-face proctoring session with your instructor or Teaching Assistants (TAs), (at no fee), schedule a live, online proctoring session (for a fee), or with a campus testing center or other authorized proctors (may be for a fee).
Some assessments in your online course might require the use of the SmarterProctoring Platform. SmarterProctoring is a remote proctoring system that uses advanced machine learning and facial detection technology to ensure test integrity.
The program is optimized to protect your security and privacy while providing a proctored environment to replace classroom testing.
What will I need to use SmarterProctoring?
- A Windows, Mac or Chromebook computer (no phones, iPads, or Android tablets) running Google Chrome with the SmarterProctoring extension installed. See: System Requirements for more detail.
- Before logging into Canvas, take a moment to clear your Chrome browser history and cache, then refresh or restart Chrome.
- Have your photo ID ready (a student ID, driver’s license, passport, or other government issued ID).
- Clear your desk/workstation of any books, papers, cell phones, or other personal electronics not allowed for the test.
- Have your webcam, microphone, and speakers turned on.
- Check your power source (plug in the computer or ensure you have a fully charged battery.
- Consider tethering your device to your router via an Ethernet cable if you tend to have spotty or weak internet connection.
- Check your connection speed here.
Note: You will need a connection speed of at least 3mbps down, and 1 mbps up. If your computer and connection do not meet the minimum speed requirement, you will need to either turn off other devices on the network that might be consuming bandwidth or use a different network (usually at a different location). In some cases, restarting your router may help, as may a wired, ethernet connection. Because there are other factors (free memory, number of processes or programs running on the computer) that could alsso affect speed, we recommend you close all non-essential applications and/or restart your computer before taking the exam. If after trying all of these options you are still unable to connect, and if you are unable to work throught it with the SmarterProctoring's Chat support, please contact your instructor.
How do I start an exam with SmarterProctoring?
- Restart, or refresh, your Chrome browser before logging into your course.
- In Canvas, select the SmarterProctoring tab in your class' Course Navigation Menu.
- Locate your exam and choose Start Exam or Choose Proctor (if the test allows face-to-face proctoring as well).
- Follow the on-boarding prompts and use the Help chat bubble to get assistance from a SmarterProctoring agent if you run into issues starting the exam.
- You may be required to show your ID and to do a room scan.
- A detailed walk-through of starting a SmarterProctoring test is available. This video shows you what a proper room scan should look like.
What should I do if I have trouble getting started or while taking a test?
- Common trouble areas are microphone access on Windows, camera and microphone access on Macs, and screen recording permissions on Macs. The links provided show you how to fix these with simple changes to settings.
- At any time during a test, you may select the Chat button to reach SmarterProctoring support agents.
- If you are unable to complete the test, please contact your instructor immediately.
- Watch how to start an exam.
- If you are uncertain how to do a room scan, please watch this.
- Review the system requirements.
- Common trouble areas are webcam and microphone access, screen sharing on both Windows and Macs, and screen recording permissions on Macs. The links provided show you how to fix these with simple changes to settings.
- If problems persist, you may also need to allow pop-up and redirects, remove an older version of the SmarterProctoring extension, or uninstall the extension for our previous proctoring system, Proctorio.
- You can always use the Help chat bubble in SmarterProctoring to chat with an agent in real time if you are having trouble.
Copy/paste Function After Exams
Your instructor may disable the copy/paste function as part of exam security settings. If this setting is enabled, you will see this error message: Copy and Paste is Disabled for this Exam. This message may persist after the exam has been submitted and you are using copy/paste elsewhere. You should be able to clear this message by copying any piece of text on your computer.
Please contact us with questions about the copy/paste error at firstname.lastname@example.org