- Go to the discussion forum that your instructor has created. Select Reply (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: Replying in a discussion board
- You will see a blank text editor. Select the text box and then select the Panopto icon from the toolbar menu (See Fig. 2).
Figure 2: Accessing Panopto in the discussion board text box
- A window will open up. By default, you would see on the dropdown list at the top as Everything. Select that folder name and you will expand the folder dropdown menu (See Fig. 3).
- You can choose to record in your personal My Folder or your course's assignment folder if your instructor has set it up. It will have [assignment] in its folder name and it will be located in a folder with the same name as the Canvas course.Figure 3: Accessing the course assignment folder
- Once the assignment folder is selected, and you will see three options: Choose, Upload and Record (See Fig. 4).
Figure 4: Assignment folder options
- Choose – If you have existing videos you can choose from the list that appears. If there’s none, it means you do not have existing videos in Panopto.
- Upload – If you have already recorded a video and it is saved in your computer, you can select Upload and you will be prompted to locate a video recording saved on your computer. Follow the prompts until your uploaded video shows up.
- Record – If you need to record a video from scratch, select Record. Provide a name for the video, and choose Panopto for Windows/Mac or Panopto Capture.
- Panopto for Windows/Mac – This option requires that the Panopto Recorder software is installed on your device. If you have already installed it previously, you can select Launch App. If you have not installed the application yet, you need to select the Download link and install the application on your computer.
- Panopto Capture – This option does not require the software installation and will just run in your browser. The option does not keep a local copy of your recording on your computer. If your recording stops midway due to a technical issue, you would have to re-record again.
- Once you have uploaded or recorded your video, you can close the Panopto window. Your video should now be displaying in the discussion reply that was previously empty (See Fig. 5). It may show a message that says that the video will be available soon/is being processed. Once it is done processing, the video will be playable.
Figure 5: Viewing a Panopto video in the discussion board
- Select Post Reply.
Recording a Panopto video for a Canvas discussion forum Print
Modified on: Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.