The iPad Edition of LockDown Browser available from the Apple App Store enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser in a Canvas course. However, your instructor must first select a setting that permits the use of iPads.
- Download and install the LockDown Browser app from the Apple App Store to the iPad. (Requires iOS 11 or higher.)
- Follow the instructions to setup the app.
- Launch the LockDown Browser app and click on Setup (See Fig. 1).
Figure 1: LockDown Browser app setup
- Search for and choose The University of Missouri System as the institution (See Fig. 2). Do not choose a specific campus (ex. UMKC).
Figure 2: Choosing the University of Missouri System institution
- Login to Canvas while in the Lockdown Browser app (See Fig. 3).
Figure 3: Canvas login
- Now you can go to a course and start a quiz. When you start a quiz that requires LockDown Browser, you should see the following message. You must select Yes to launch the quiz.
Figure 4: Confirming App Self-Lock
- If you do not see the above confirmation message, but rather see a message that says your instructor has not enabled the use of a tablet for your exam, you will need to use LockDown Browser on a Windows or Mac computer (See Fig 5).
Figure 5: Tablet is not allowed
- Once you select Yes to confirm app self-lock, you will see a message confirming that your iPad is now locked to LockDown Browser (See Fig 6).
Figure 6: LockDown Browser is locked confirmation.
- After you submit the exam, you'll see confirmation that your iPad is no longer locked to LockDown Browser (See Fig. 7).
Figure 7: iPad is no longer locked
- You can now either take another exam, or exit the LockDown Browser app.
- It's important that you don't start Apple's Guided Access feature (by triple selecting the home button) and then enter LockDown Browser. If you do, you'll see a warning message at the top of LockDown Browser (See Fig. 8).
Figure 8: warning message
- You should immediately triple click the home button and exit Guided Access before proceeding with your exam. If you do not, you'll see an error message when trying to start your exam (See Fig. 9)
Figure 9: LockDown Browser error message
- You can disable Guided Access on your iPad by going to Settings, then General, then Accessibility, then Guided access.